New account checklist.
Use this guide to get you started with a new Credential Direct account. First, let’s make sure you have the following information handy:
- A Credit union or bank transit#, institution#, and your account#
- An email address
- Account confirmation letter (optional), visit our FAQs for more on confirmation letters, see sample letter here.
Each person applying with you will also need the following details:
- Government issued ID (driver’s license or passport)
- Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.)
- Employer’s name and address
- Spouse’s or common-law partner’s S.I.N. and employer’s name
- For registered accounts, your beneficiary’s S.I.N.
What happens after you submit your application.
Once your application is complete, you’ll be asked to print, sign and mail in some documents and some verification of your bank information with either our Account Confirmation document or a hard coded personal cheque for $10 made out to Credential Direct ($2,000 for margin and options accounts).
If you are in a hurry to place your first trade, please send us the Account Confirmation document as there is a 5 business day hold if you send us a cheque.
Once you’ve submitted your application electronically, and printed a copy, we’ll give you early access to explore our research, tools, and site. You’ll receive your User ID and password within 1-2 business days.
When you can expect to start trading.
Once we’ve received and approved your signed account application and support documentation, we’ll turn on the switch and you can start investing.